Our team - Charles Maddison
Psychotherapist, Family Therapist, Mental Health Social Worker
BA, MBA, MSW, Grad Dip Family Therapy, AASW, AAFT
Charles Maddison is a psychotherapist, family therapist and mental health social worker. He is passionate about helping people living with complex and comorbid mental health challenges, particularly trauma survivors and adults living with symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder. He is also committed to supporting the mental health needs of Australia’s First Nations people.
Charles is skilled in family therapy cases including family conflict, adolescent behaviour issues, parenting practices and couples’ relationships. Drawing on his extensive background as an executive in corporate and government settings, he provides EAP and career counselling services.
Taking a whole-of-system approach to clients’ problems, Charles has broad experience in treating various mental health challenges including:
- Issues related to trauma (post-traumatic stress disorder, complex trauma, intergenerational trauma, moral trauma, sexual and physical assault)
- Symptoms associated with adult Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Families and couples in conflict
- Career difficulties and other life challenges
- Emotional dysregulation
- Grief and loss
Since becoming a therapist Charles has worked in a private teaching clinic specialising in complex and comorbid cases; with the Department of Veterans Affairs’ counselling service for ADF personnel and their families (Open Arms); and in private practice.
With a warm, relaxed style balanced by direct interactions as required, Charles tailors therapy depending on clients’ needs and goals, emphasising a strong relationship between client and therapist. He deploys evidence-based therapeutic modalities including:
- Prolonged Exposure therapy
- Assertiveness training
- Anger management
- Relaxation techniques
- Motivational interviewing
- Parent coaching
- Non-Violent Resistance in family settings
Away from work, Charles enjoys reading, wine and food, cinema and family time. He also follows politics and supports Australia’s rugby union team, the Wallabies.
- -Graduate Diploma of Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (Bower Place Training)
- - Graduate Master of Social Work (Flinders University)
- - Master of Business Administration (Macquarie University)
- - Bachelor of Arts – English literature (University of Newcastle)
- Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) – accredited Mental Health Social Worker
- Member of the Australian Association of Family Therapists (AAFT)
Contact Charles to enquire about session fees.
Clients with a current Mental Health Care Plan and a referral from their GP can claim a Medicare rebate of $77.10 when they attend sessions with Charles.
Consultation days: Face to face sessions: Wednesday to Friday. Telehealth: Tuesdays.
All sessions by appointment. Call Charles on 0415 093 378 or email him to book a session.
Age groups: Adults.
Languages spoken: English.